- What is polyacrylamide?
- Production and synthesis of polyacrylamide
- Application of polyacrylamide
- Dangers of polyacrylamide
- Price inquiry and purchase of polyacrylamide
What is polyacrylamide?
Polyacrylamide (abbreviated as PAM) is a polymer with the formula (-CH2CHCONH2-) and has a linear chain structure. Polyacrylamide is very water absorbent and forms a soft gel when hydrated. In 2008, about 750,000,000 kg were produced for water treatment, paper and mining industries.
It is a polyolefin. It can be seen as polyethylene with amide substituents on alternating carbons. Unlike various nylons, polyacrylamide is not a polyamide because the amide groups are not located in the polymer chain.
Production and synthesis of polyacrylamide
Polyacrylamide gels are produced by chemical polymerization of a mixture of acrylamide and bisacrylamide (a cross-linker) in the presence of a catalyst and polymerization initiator.
Application of polyacrylamide
In the 1970s and 1980s, the most common use of these polymers was in water purification. The next major application is as additives for pulp processing and papermaking. In addition, about 30% of polyacrylamide is used in the oil and mineral industries.
- One of the biggest uses of polyacrylamide is coagulation of solids in a liquid. This process is applied to water purification and processes such as papermaking and screen printing. Polyacrylamide can be supplied in powder or liquid form, and its liquid form is classified as soluble polymer and emulsion.
- The ionic form of polyacrylamide has found an important role in the drinking water treatment industry. Trivalent metal salts, such as iron chloride and aluminum chloride, are bridged by long polyacrylamide polymer chains. This leads to a significant increase in the flocculation rate and allows water treatment plants to greatly improve the total organic content (TOC) removal from raw water.
Dangers of polyacrylamide
Polyacrylamide has little toxicity, but its precursor, acrylamide, is carcinogenic. Therefore, concerns naturally center on the possibility that the polyacrylamide is contaminated with acrylamide.
Price inquiry and purchase of polyacrylamide
Due to the wide and varied use of polyacrylamide, Oxin Chemistry Company has made it possible to buy this useful material in small and large quantities for respected buyers to provide the materials needed by their industries at a reasonable cost. To inquire about the price and buy polyacrylamide in large quantities, please contact our colleagues.